Underworld

“There’s a car waiting. See to it that those girls are dropped wherever they want and get yourself a free ride home.”

He walked towards the car and noticed the girls his boss was talking about.

“Is that an E-60?”

He looks around for the owner of that excited, impulsive voice. It was one of the girls in the group. She seemed far younger than the others most likely in her late teens. He sees no harm in talking to her although in a land where conversations were strictly restricted to business.

“Yeah, it is. Do you like it?” He has a warm smile on his lips and an innocent sparkle in his eyes.

“Yes. It looks lovely. I have never seen one this close before.”

He asks her to keep the file he had with him in her bag.

It was a monotonous journey except for occasional bikes vrooming past. She was visibly bored and started yet another abrupt conversation.

“Do you like working there?”

“Well, yes. I get a good salary but it’s a nasty business that they do. I can do nothing about it though. Anyway, here’s my stop.”

“Oh, where do you stay?”

“Starry Heights Apartments. I don’t feel comfortable at the office quarters. It’s a small apartment but I like it. Goodnight then. Nice meeting you.”

She finds his file in her bag. The following day, she goes to his apartment and hands him his folder.

“Oh, thank you so much. I was wondering how I would trace you without so much as a name.”

She sports a satisfied smile. “Are you always alone? Don’t you have any friends?”

He admires the spontaneity in her questions. “No, I generally don’t entertain here. I retire to this tiny apartment to get away from the monotony of work.” She leaves. He feels the presence of a caring soul. She feels the presence of a soul to be cared for.

Work goes on as usual. He and his monotonous work – neither cribs. 1 message received. Please fill in for me at the Interview hall today. I am down with fever. Thanks. Selection for shipping – 11 pm.

11 pm. He was right on time. He was briefed in on what to do – ensure that the candidate is on the list and mark those worth shipping. “Candidate?”, he wondered. His eyes fell on a skinny waif being dragged by a well built man. It all made sense now. He could do nothing. Each girl was led into the room; one more pathetic than the previous. He looked up to see who was next in line. Their eyes met. She felt energized while he felt stoned. He had to do something. He couldn’t just stand there and watch her go through such humiliation. She was pretty. She would easily be chosen. He knew he had to act. Something, anything. He went up to his boss and said it was getting late and there was some important business to be taken care of. The boss thought over it and gave him a suspicious look. The selection process was halted till further notice. He looked at her from the corner of his eye and felt good.

A couple of days passed. 523, Starry Heights Apartments; a knock on the door. His fellow employee opens and gives her an unwelcome look. She searches for him and their eyes click. His friends hand him his jacket and he rises to leave. She presses a fleeting kiss on his cheek and whispers, “Thanks.” He puts his arm around her shoulder.

Beside the fountain outside his apartment, he realizes how happy he was with her and vows to keep her happy all her life. Her eyes well up as she feels elated. The next moment they shatter into a million pieces. It was a cruel world and he could do nothing about it.

PS: This was a real dream I had last summer. Every bit of this occurred in that freaking dream dated July 27th, 2007.

11 comments:

  1. oh! please let this be one of those weird dream movie like thing where all kinds of stuff happens, please, PLEASE! ahem, sorry but i really want some action in my life

    ReplyDelete
  2. And I thought I was the only one who could write freaky stories. :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. @abhishek
    Lolz.
    Some people are just not lucky.

    @amrit
    You are God at it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Strong too!

    I am awestruck at your remembering the dream. I cannot remember dream for nuts. Aargh!

    ReplyDelete
  5. @czar
    I don't usually remember either but I wanted to remember this one. So I played it a couple of times in my head that morning and wrote an outline story of the same and thanks to a friend who asked me to write about it, here it finds a place on my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  6. very impressive indeed...
    the story actually reminds me of the sfumato technique in painting... multiple overlapping layers (wonder if there is a literary equivalent)
    very well done!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. @srivats
    That comment decorated my blog. :)Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You must have had lots of cheese before going to sleep.

    ReplyDelete
  9. really freaky dream..
    and well written
    good going...
    guess dats a creative use of a niteout...[:P]

    ReplyDelete
  10. @whitelighter
    Well, I conveniently forget.

    @ziddi
    Yeah, I just had to end that assignment filled Saturday in style. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. geez, here I was hoping I was the only one to view nighttime entertainment in HD.

    ReplyDelete